Is a Muslim allowed to participate in non-Muslims feasts? On what conditions can a Muslim join non-Muslims during holiday seasons?
In determining the non-Muslim celebrations that can be attended by Muslims, several main criteria should serve as guidelines so as not to contradict the teachings of Islam. The criteria are as follows:
1- The event is not accompanied by ceremonies that are against the Islamic faith (aqidah).Feasts
The meaning of “against the Islamic faith (`aqidah)” is a thing, act, word or situation which if conducted will lead to tarnishing the faith (`aqidah) of Muslims.
– to include religious symbols such as the cross, installing lights, candles, Christmas tree and so forth;
– to sing religious songs;
– to put any religious markings on the forehead, or other markings onto parts of the body;
– to deliver speech or gestures in the form of a praise to the non-Muslim religion;
– to bow or conduct acts of honour to the religious ceremony of non-Muslims.
2- The event is not accompanied by acts against the Islamic law.
The meaning of “against the Islamic law” is a thing, act, word or situation which if conducted will contradict the Islamic teachings practiced by the Muslim community.
– Wearing red costumes like Santa Claus or other garments that reflect religion;
– Serving intoxicating food or beverages and the likes;
– Having sounds or ornaments like church bells, Christmas tree, temple or breaking of coconuts;
– Having ceremonies with elements of gaming, worship, cult, superstitions and the likes.
3- The event is not accompanied by “acts that contradict with moral and cultural development of Muslim society” in this country.
The meaning of “acts that contradict with moral and cultural development of Muslim society” is a thing, act, word or situation which if conducted will contradict the values and norms of the Muslim society of this country which adheres to the Islamic teachings based on Ahlu-S Sunnah Wal-Jamaah or the majority of Muslim scholars.
– Mixing freely without any limit or manners;
– Wearing conspicuous clothing;
– Singing songs that contain lyrics of obscenity and worship;
– Organizing programs such as beauty pageants, cock fighting and such.
4- The event is not accompanied by acts that can “stir the sensitivity of Muslim community”.
The meaning of “stir the sensitivity of Muslim community” is a thing, act, word or situation which if conducted will offend the feelings of Muslims about their beliefs and practices.
– Speeches or songs in the form of non-Muslim religious propaganda;
– Speeches that insult the Muslims;
– Speeches that insult Islam;
– Presentations with the aim to ridicule the religious belief of Muslims.
The organizers and the public are asked to get the views of religious authorities before organizing or attending celebrations of non-Muslims.